Are you in the market for a new garage door for your home? You’re probably doing research about the different styles and materials. Which one is best for you? Although it’s best to talk to professionals, it’s helpful to have some information on the front end.
If you live in the Leesburg, Indiana area, Mike’s Garage Door can help. We install different types of garage doors to meet every need. Contact us to learn more or keep reading to learn more about the various types of garage doors available!
What Are the Different Types of Garage Doors?
You have several options when it comes to garage door installation for your home.
- Steel Garage Doors: Steel is one of the most commonly used materials for garage doors, and steel garage doors (whether sectional, rolling, or anything else) are durable, low-maintenance, and energy-efficient. They can also be painted easily and are available in textures that mimic wood.
- Wood Garage Doors: Although not as low-maintenance as steel doors, wood garage doors offer their own benefits. Nothing beats the natural beauty of wood, and wood is a good insulator, which can help reduce your energy bills.
- Aluminum Garage Doors: Another popular material for garage doors, aluminum is sturdy and durable, and it requires minimal maintenance, if any at all. Aluminum is also resistant to rust and corrosion, which can help extend the life of your garage door(s).
- Rolling Garage Doors: Rolling, or roller, garage doors are typically steel and extremely durable. They roll up via a spring (usually you can do this automatically with a garage door opener) but sometimes use a manual chain and pulley system.
- Sectional Garage Doors: One of the most popular types of garage doors, sectional garage doors typically consist of six to eight panels that slide up and overhead into your garage. When opening and closing, the door stays within the frame.
- Canopy Garage Doors: When canopy garage doors are opened, they stay straight (resembling a canopy) as they roll up smoothly. However, the swing-up arc of the door happens outside of the frame, so cars need to stop a few feet back.
- Swing Garage Doors: These types of garage doors resemble a traditional door when opening and closing, hinged to the door opening of the garage and swinging open. Like canopy garage doors, they require some space to open and close and aren’t ideal for narrow or short driveways.
In general, there are three basic styles—traditional, carriage house and modern.
Traditional garage doors have either raised or recessed panels (short or long), and there are many window choices to complement any home.
Carriage house garage doors are often used for period style homes because they have an Old World look, but they can also complement more contemporary homes. Many decorative handles and hinges are available to add great finishing touches to your carriage house style garage door.
Modern garage doors can have a flush panel or look like the doors in the picture below. Many modern style garage doors are made of aluminum (sometimes with glass).
Garage Door Installers Serving the Leesburg, IN Area
Do you need to replace your old garage door with a new one? Let the team at Mike’s Garage Door install a new one that will complement your home’s exterior and help you stay as energy-efficient and comfortable as possible.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or to get a free quote on your installation!