Garage door openers can be very noisy, and they might even sound like they’re broken when you open or close the door. This can be irritating, especially when there are quieter options on the market.
Chain drive, belt drive and screw drive garage door openers all make noise, but belt drive systems are quieter than the others. As for the motor, DC-powered motors tend to run a bit quieter compared to AC motors.
In this blog post, we’ll go into detail about the types of garage door openers, the power used to operate them and how you can make your garage door operate more quietly. With the right techniques, you can enjoy a much quieter garage door opener and system.
Types of Garage Door Openers
When it comes to garage door openers, there are three common types: chain, belt and screw drive. These systems all perform the same function but use different materials to get the job done:
- Chain drive garage door openers: These use a metal chain to push or pull the trolley to raise or lower the door. The chain movement can be pretty loud as it rolls along the track.
- Belt drive garage door openers: These feature a steel-reinforced belt instead of a chain. The best typically consists of rubber and fiberglass materials, making it much quieter as it moves.
- Screw drive garage door openers: These use a rotating steel rod to wind up the door. These systems feature a lot of exposed metal, making for quite a noisy system.
AC & DC Garage Door Motors
The electrical operation of a garage door opener is also important when considering the amount of noise the system will produce. Older systems use AC-current electricity while newer ones use DC-current power.
AC motors can be louder due to the alternating current within the system. With a DC motor, the direct current can adjust the force as it’s operating, making for a smoother action for the garage door as it moves.
If you want the quietest possible garage door opener, a belt drive system with a DC-powered motor would be your best bet.
Tips for Making Your Current Garage Door Quieter
Whether it’s time for a garage door opener upgrade or not, there are a few steps you can take to try to make your system quieter. Lower the volume of your system by:
- Replacing the door with a lighter door
- Checking if the door and chain system are aligned properly
- Adjusting the belt or chain tension to tighten the system
- Lubricating the tracks, chains or rollers for smoother operation
Choose Mike’s Garage Door for Garage Door Opener Installation in Indiana
When it’s time for a new garage door opener at your Indiana home, look to Mike’s Garage Door. We bring years of experience to the table, having replaced countless garage door openers, doors and more. Turn to us to get your garage door working like new.
Speak with us today by calling (574) 253-0279 to schedule garage door opener services.